Monday, November 29, 2010

The Resurrection of R&B by @AUTHENTICDRU

The Resurrection of R&B


http://www.blogger.com/post-create.g?blogID=1866229265610925441

Hello All...It has been a while since I've written anything. Clearly There wasn't anything to write about until I start looking at the slow but strong return to R&B.

In this day and age, I've paid close attention to the music this year. Each genre has evolved into some next level, astronomical sound that is to this day, ahead of our time.

It has been a ongoing battle of whether Hip Hop has died or not. The element of hip hop, lyricism, has showed a decrease. But it has not fully died. If anything, After seeing Kanye West Masterpiece "Runaway", I've actually saw what hip hop look in as if it was art. The Essence of what was once a creative way of expressing urban freedom has showed redemption in that 27 mini film.

But did we forget about R&B?

I've Made a mental statement about Trey Songz Latest Single "Can't Be Friends"... The Essence of R&B has Returned. The foundation of that song brought the RHYTHM AND BLUES, the emotion of SOUL, the rawness of the REAL LYRICS BACK! Now I will say that his album "Passion, Pain, and Pleasure" is a "Confessions" of a fresher generation, but in that particular song, Trey made sure YOU was gonna think back to a time where you love someone so deep that friendship even in the future was not going to happen. (Good Sex and Outstanding Love can do that...trust me)

Trey is one of the R&B artist that is keeping the realness alive...but is NOT part of a resurrection. I'm not saying ANYTHING bad for this very reason: He is SELLING and is following "The O'Jays Rule" (Giving the People What They Want)

I'm talking about the Resurrection of Artists who were at the peak but somehow let inner demons because the vice of further success. and here are two best examples
K-Ci & JoJo

When I 1st heard of the Reality Series " K-Ci & JoJo Come Clean", It put me back in the place where I would listen to the "Love Always" Album when it came out in 1997.

Two years Later would be the "It's Real" album. Years to come would be a slow decline until I've seen video footage of JoJo having blackout seizure from withdrawal from liquor. I Never Knew that there was an addiction, let alone a 20 year addiction, of alcohol that has been the result of an almost musical demise. I've watch the show faithfully because like anyone else, I wanted to see if this was for real or just to create a buzz of getting back out there...and its the latter. However, I've seen progress by them fighting that addiction. I hear some call them has been, but one episode showed me there is light at the end of the tunnel (I suggest you watch it).

It was when K-Ci went up to the pulpit of his family church and he sung a quick hymn. In his trademark gospel raspy tenor, he belted out those notes not missing a step. So the question is Can the brothers make the return triumphant by making a first ever sober album? There are no other word to say it. I mean Mary J. Blige made some sober albums...she still selling.

The 2nd artist that comes to mind is answering that question but he succeed in defeating the demon of crack and not allowing it to destroy the gift.
El DeBarge
I thought when younger brother Chico moved to Chicago, HE would make the return but for Eldra Patrick DeBarge, I'm still in amazement when he made his return on the 2010 BET Awards. The Falsetto singer who brought back light skinned (Gotta Problem? lol) made he 1st record in close to 20 years "Second Chance" the Title track spoke in volume. he is proving to the world, like most people who only expect just bad because they are going through trials themselves, that redemption is for ALL. his next single with Faith Evans sound promising, but the question that comes to mind is..WILL IT SELL?

I have an honorary mention:
Ronald Isley
Close to 60 Years in the business, He still putting out albums. Nothing can stop him.

His Age (69),
Being fresh out of prison (Tax Evasion)
The current passing of his baby brother, Marvin (Due to Diabetes Complications)
Mini Stroke (in 2006 while in London)


For this ONE Reason...There was an actually 6th Isley Brother by the name of Vernon. When Vernon was killed in a car accident at the age of 13 or 14, the Matriarch of the Isley family told Ron to Keep the Isley sound alive.

After seeing my Twitter family go clean in talking about he needs to hang it up...
I'm thinking...
The Return of these artist came right on time...

I believe something was missing from R&B...


It was something major that made current artists like Trey work more hard to add more to what we already hearing on the radio and Ipod,


Just "(R)eal (&) (B)eautiful Music (R&B)"...

No comments:

Post a Comment